Eickhaus

an experiment in communication....for family and friends of our blog to "keep in touch" and provide pictures and information about the latest and greatest adventures of Eickhaus. Also see http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?tid=831833&pid=-2042210641&pg=0

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Space Out like a Rocket Boy


Last month, from June 16-20, I was priviledged to attend Teacher Space Academy in Huntsville, AL. I made a lot of new friends, including a couple from China, India and even one from England. I learned a bit about being a teacher in other countries adn cultures, and I learned a lot about teaching lessons about Space. We mourned the impending end of the Space Shuttle Program together, and I thought a lot about my Dad, a veteran of the aerospace industry, who would've loved hearing about every minute of my training. We were taught many things to stimulate our students interest (the Mars generation, we were told) in STEM ( Science, Technology, Engineering & Math. Days were long, beginning with a bus ride to breakfast at 7 a.m., and ending (most days) after 9 p.m. with a bus ride back to the Charger Village dorms at U of A. In between were hours of classes, simulations, and astronaut like training experiences. We even got to "crash" a helicopter into a lake and practice getting out of it from underwater to be rescued.
I got to meet Homer Hickam, a hero of mine (and my Dad's) and I got to meet several other space "celebrities". I even got to eat dinner with Mr. Hickam beneath a Saturn V Rocket in the US Space & Rocket Center.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home