Eickhaus

an experiment in communication....for family and friends of our blog to "keep in touch" and provide pictures and information about the latest and greatest adventures of Eickhaus. Also see http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?tid=831833&pid=-2042210641&pg=0

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Another Day

This link page list dad's obituary in the Gazette, and a link to the on-line guest book set up this month in his memory. http://www.legacy.com/gazette/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=96749191

So, it has been almost three weeks since Dad went Home to be with the Lord. Our time with him was too short, and yet, we had a 10 year gift, too. Many of our friends and family know the story of how he was in a coma in 1997 after bypass surgery, and wasn't expected to survive. God pulled him through and gave him back to us for a while longer. So, I guess I can't complain too much.

I have spent a lot of evenings this past week writing letters to his friends to explain, trying to cancel his magazine subscriptions, paying his bills, taking care of other estate related papers, and "muddling through".

Tonight was tough. We had a good cry as a family at dinner, when my daughter (always the deep thinker) took off on a tangent forma converstaion we were having and asked something along the lines of how we can trust a God who would take Grandpa from us. I took a lot of deep breaths, and I think we worked through it, with her ( and I) having a better understanding that Dad belonged to God inthe first place, and that God is hurting because we are. Death was not in his original plan, I am reminded....but then, I am also very aware, deep in my spirit, that Dad is not dead. He is truly more alive than any of us! And closer to God, our Father, who loves us even more than we can imagine. I feel HIS arms daily carrying me through my grief and the pain of separation and adjustment.

It occurred to me this week that, somehow, I have never had a major holiday away from my Dad. He was always there, even after I was married. Whether we were at his house, or we were dragging him along to my wife's extended family gatherings, Dad has always quietly been a part of evey holiday memory. (see archives of November 2006 for one example).

I want to thank all our extended family and many friends who have continued to lift us up in prayer and love on us as we go through this season of our lives. We hadn't planned on losing all our parents by the time we were 40! But, God is good, and I am learning to lean on Him and trust a little more each day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,
We're back to MD now and adjusting. Reading your recent entries made me cry, but yet how fortunate you all are to have had such a sweet and thoughtful father who knew how to make you smile. It's hard to give up such a steady and loving presence in your lives even though you know he's really having the time of his life in heaven! It's hard for me to imagine having a parent at every holiday and event. Our folks have tried though. But I remember being very sad no family could be there for Shiloh's birth. One sister was unable to meet her until she was over 1 yr. old! We are still praying for you all, especially for Anna to trust that God does love her despite the pain and loss He has allowed into her young life. She will have a lot of compassion for others who suffer. Although we are glad to be back to our house, Tim and I have been struggling with feeling at home here on the East Coast. We know this is where God wants us. Just wished the feelings matched. Reentry prayers are needed. In His arms ~ Tami

9:40 AM  
Blogger Debora Hoffmann said...

I am awash with tears and have been reminded again how God is a father to the fatherless (Psalm 68:5). How very blessed you all are to have had Conrad in your lives, eyes twinkling as he pulled his pranks. :-) I'll continue praying for you all. And I'll miss him.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home