Eickhaus

an experiment in communication....for family and friends of our blog to "keep in touch" and provide pictures and information about the latest and greatest adventures of Eickhaus. Also see http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?tid=831833&pid=-2042210641&pg=0

Friday, January 13, 2023

#52Ancestors in 52 weeks - Week 2 - Favorite Photo

The Neff Family Band, c. 1911 Although I do not play any instruments, I do enjoy listening and even singing along with some toe tapping country/gospel/folk music as often as I can. Perhaps it is due to these people in my roots! I wonder what the common string music was about 1910. I wonder if they played Arkansas Traveler? My g-ma, Mildred Neff, often talked about her dad and his brothers would play for barn dances, weddings and the like all over NW Arkansas and NE OK, from Fort Smith to Waldron to Heavener and back again. This faded photo, which features Worth, Johnson Fowler "Uncle Squire", Hugh and Frank Neff, along with their wives and three of the youngest members of the family, including my g-aunt Helen Neff. it is almong the oldest orignal photogroahs I have inherited from that side if my family. it is a reminder that these hardworking folks, however poor and poorly educated, carried a bit of their culture forward with them wherever they went.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home